The June 25, 1983 closing of Bullock’s Downtown (at 7th and Broadway) was, for some, the end of an era. From its opening in March 1907, Bullock’s denoted a certain style; its more expensive merchandise sold better than its lower priced goods. There was even a dress code for the sales staff as late as 1941: Men were to wear hats to work and women were to wear black, navy, or gray dresses with sleeves. [Los Angeles Times, June 24, 1983]. As early as 1969, the flagship store was showing its age which only worsened as the Spring Street financial center began moving west.
“…for old-time Angelenos, Bullock’s was a landmark, a way of life, from the fifth-floor children’s department—kids climbed into an oversize clown face and took the ‘big slide’ toward the barber shop to sit on a tiger and get a haircut—to the Collegienne section, fourth floor, Hill side, a pioneer in junior fashions for young women,” Los Angeles Times.
For some a mystery remains as Bullock’s gift boxes noted “One O’Clock Saturdays.” We have long wondered what happened at Bullock’s Downtown at one o’clock on Saturdays.